The Mysteries of the Rosary
The Joyful Mysteries
1. The Annunciation. Luke 1:26-38
The Angel Gabriel appears to Mary, announcing she is to be the Mother of God.
2. The Visitation. Luke 1:39-56
Elizabeth greets Mary: "Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb!"
3. The Nativity. Luke 2:1-20
The Virgin Mary gives birth to the Redeemer of the World.
4. The Presentation. Luke 2:22-39
The Blessed Mother presents the Child Jesus in the Temple.
5. The Finding in the Temple. Luke 2:42-52
The Blessed Mother finds Jesus in the Temple.
The Luminous Mysteries
1. The Baptism of Christ in the Jordan. John 1:29-34
The heavens open wide and the voice of the Father declares Jesus the beloved Son.
2. The Wedding Feast at Cana. John 2:1-11
The first of the signs, when Christ changes water into wine and opens the hearts of the disciples to faith, thanks to the intervention of Mary, the first among believers.
3. The Announcement of the Kingdom. Matthew 4:17
Jesus proclaims the coming of the Kingdom of God, calls us to conversion and forgives the sins of all who draw near to Him in humble trust.
4. The Transfiguration. Matthew 17:1-8
The glory of the Godhead shines forth from the face of Christ as the Father commands the astonished Apostles to "listen to him."
5. The Institution of the Eucharist (food for our salvation). Matthew 26:26-30
Christ offers his body and blood as food under the signs of bread and wine, and testifies "to the end" His love for humanity, for whose salvation He will offer Himself in sacrifice.
The Sorrowful Mysteries
1. The Agony in the Garden. Luke 22:39-44
At Gethsemane, Jesus prays as He contemplates the sins of the world.
2. The Scourging at the Pillar. Matthew 27:26
Jesus is cruelly scourged until His mortified body could bear no more.
3. The Crowning with Thorns. Matthew 27:28-31
A crown of thorns is placed on the head of Jesus.
4. The Carrying of the Cross. Luke 23:26-32
Jesus carries the heavy cross upon His shoulders to Calvary.
5. The Crucifixion. Matthew 27:33-50
Jesus is nailed to the cross and dies after hours of agony.
The Glorious Mysteries
1. The Resurrection. Matthew 28:1-20
Jesus rises glorious and immortal, three days after His death.
2. The Ascension. Luke 24:50-51
Jesus ascends into Heaven forty days after His Resurrection.
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:24
The Holy Spirit descends upon Mary and the Apostles.
4. The Assumption.
The Blessed Mother is united with her Divine Son in Heaven.
5. The Coronation.
Mary is gloriously crowned Queen of Heaven and earth.